In life, son, you got your hammers, and you got your nails.
And some fuckers, if they can just find some wood, they can use both to bang together a ship, and sail far, far away from this shitburgh.
And some fuckers, if they can just find some wood, they can use both to bang together a ship, and sail far, far away from this shitburgh.
Rejection by Patrick Gregorson
I felt sorry for myself. I contemplated suicide. Another
rejection letter, which said my story had had too much misogyny. Misogyny? I
hated men more than women! Normally, I would have taken the misogyny bit as a
complement. But I wondered. Maybe I am just a piece of shit. I’d never make it
as a writer. That was clear. I’d never become rich and famous, would never rise
above the shithole jobs, working for assholes. Now I was a douche bag, who
treated women like shit.
I decided to take the biggest sharpest knife in the kitchen
and cut my wrist. I found a blade that would do. Good and sharp. Put the blade
to my forearm and pressed lightly. God if
you’re out there, help me. I pressed the knife a little harder. I saw blood
and dropped the knife. I sucked the blood. It was thick and dark red. Not much
blood, but enough.
“What the fuck are you doing?” she said.
“Nothing, I had an accident.”
“Accident, my ass, you tried to kill yourself.”
“No, really, I didn’t.”
She picked up a wooden spoon from the counter top, and
started hitting me with it.
“That will teach you to kill yourself.”
I ran away, but she kept chasing me, hitting me. I ran into
my room and locked the door. She was banging on the door.
“Don’t go masturbating now, either!”
I really hated myself then. I was too much of a coward to
kill myself. My fucking stepmom is a psycho bitch. I grabbed the bottle of
whiskey from under my bed and drank. I got good and drunk, continued to feel
sorry for myself, and cried myself to sleep.


